Once again, not very satisfied with my zeppelin melon skullcap, which admittedly has very convenient UV mapping for use with hair mesh generated in Shade 10, I tried a third approach to creating a skullcap.
I used MakeHuman to create a complete human figure OBJ, imported it into Poser Pro 2010, exported as an ungrouped OBJ ( because MakeHUman groups the figure for you, which is not what I want for my purpose).
I re-imported the now ungrouped OBJ inside Poser Pro 2010, and created a new group labelled scalp, an added the polygons I want to form a skullcap. Then I spawned a prop from the skullcap polygon faces.
I could have stopped there and saved the skullcap to the Poser prop library. However, I moved the camera around in the working viewport, and discovered one rogue facet which I had accidentally added to the skullcap group before I spawned the prop. That facet was probably from the back of the figure. Just my being careless.
So I exported the skulllcap as an OBJ, imported into Shade 10 Standard, removed the offending facet, and re-exported as OBJ.
The cleaned-up skullcap mesh was imported into Poser Pro 2010, removed of legacy materials (in Material Room) from the MakeHuman mesh stage, and made into a prop in the Poser library.
2011 July 31
Listening to: http://www.di.fm/liquiddnb/
Reading: computer monitor